Join the conversation:

Brazil call up uncapped duo Dodo and Mário Fernandes

Brazil call up uncapped duo Dodo and Mário Fernandes

Posted by Juan Gavasa on September 17, 2014

Dunga’s post-World Cup rebuilding plans gathered pace as he called up the uncapped duo Dodo and Mário Fernandes for Brazil’s friendlies with Argentina and Japan and again omitted Marcelo and Dani Alves. Fernandes, 23, is a right-back who can also play in the centre of defence, while Internazionale’s Dodo, 22, operates on the left. Both have played for Brazil’s youth teams.

The new Brazil coach, who won his first two matches against Colombia and Ecuador earlier this month, said the changes were necessary for a team who were humbled 7-1 by the eventual champions Germany in the World Cup semi-finals.

“We are at the start of our work so we need to build a base and a continuity,” Dunga said. “We can’t keep changing. You need to give security to the players who are called up so they feel at home.” Dodo and Fernandes are the latest defenders being tried out for what is becoming a problem position for the national side.

While Real Madrid’s Marcelo and Barcelona’s Alves were overlooked, Maicon, called up for Dunga’s first squad, was left out after being sent home for undisclosed disciplinary problems.

Brazil face the World Cup runners-up Argentina at the Bird’s Nest stadium in Beijing on 11 October before taking on Japan in Singapore three days later. “It is a derby and anything can happen in a derby,” Dunga said of the Argentina match. “They have been together a long time but we have good players and it will be an open game.”

Dunga’s first competitive matches will come in next year’s Copa America in Chile.

Link To Full Article: 

Facebook comments



Monthly newsletter featuring articles hand picked by our country managers from the best content across PanamericanWorld.



Monthly newsletter featuring articles hand picked by our country managers from the best content across the Caribbean Region on PanamericanWorld.

PANAMERICANWORLD COUNTRIES