30 Free Things To Do In Toronto This September 2016
30 Free Things To Do In Toronto This September 2016
Living in Toronto is definitely two things: unreal and hard on the wallet. Especially when school comes back and you find yourself buying three hundred dollar textbooks on political studies in the south…
But we’re Torontonians and that’s not going to stop us from having some amazing days out in the city we love. From squad hang outs to nights at the bar that have your Uber driver cringing, here are some amazing free things to do around Toronto this month!
1. Artfest Toronto // Distillery District
Free admission to wander around the Disterilly District and see 75 artisans and artists display their best works!
2. Toronto International Buskerfest // Woodbine Park
This exciting event gives you days of amazing street performing. It’s pay-what-you-can so it’s not technically free, but the money goes to supporting not only the festival but also the 40,000 people living with epilepsy in the GTA.
3. Ashkenaz Festival // Harbourfront Centre
Visit the 11th edition of the Ashkenaz Festival, a festival devoted to Jewish food, music, film, theatre, dance and literature. All free, just for you!
4. Flow-active’s Yoga In High Park // High Park
Get your oooooom on and join other yogies in the beauty of High Park every Sunday at 10 am!
5. GET LO with Bangs & Blush 90’s Dance Party // Clinton’s Tavern
NO COVER NO PROBLEM! No cover all night at this bumping 90’s dance party every Thursday night!
Every Thursday of September
6. Pan Am Path with Cycle Toronto // Evergreen Brickworks
Cycle Toronto is a group in the city that not only advocates safe cycling, but also has some amazing free events and meet ups. Join them for a 10K path to meet some new people, and listen to some bumping music.
7. Scotiabank World Cup of Hockey Fan Village // Distillery District
170 of the best NHL players are going to be coming to Toronto this September and with that the Distillery District will have a 10 day fan fest! Anyone can go, at no cost!
8. Go for a picnic // Multiple Locations
No one wants to take a picnic in the freezing cold, so why not finally get out to a stunning park before you miss your window! Grab your buds, maybe some booze, and enjoy the sun.
9. The St. Royals Concert // Roy Thomson Hall
Free concert for some unreal jams, on a PATIO? We’re in.
10. 22nd Annual GWN Dragon Boat Challenge Presented by CIBC // Marilyn Bell Park
About 10,000 people racing down Lake Ontario in Dragon Boats?! We’re in. It’s free for spectators and supports The Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation; looks like smooth waters here!
11. Go celebrity star gazing // Multiple Locations
The Toronto Internatonal Film Festival not only bring in some beautiful films, but also some beautiful stars. Hang around Yorkville and maybe you’ll be lucky enough to cozy up with one of your favourite celebs! (Talking to you James Franco, where you at?!)
12. Bloor West Village Toronto Ukrainian Festival // Bloor St. West
North America’s LARGEST Ukrainian street fesival is back for it’s 20th annual party! If you’ve never partied like a Ukrainian, you don’t know what you’re missing. This 3-day fest is not only free, it will also give you a look into the beauty of the Ukrainian culture!
13. Gladstone Hotel events // 1214 Queen St. West
Never have another boring Tinder Date/Squad Hangout/Weekday (or weekend for that matter) night again! Drag Races, 90’s Kid Tuesdays, Music Bingo, YOYO MaMa concert (and an unreal line up of many more free musicians), free art exhibits (12-5). Get ready.
14. Go for a hike // Multiple Locations
Never too late to check something off of your summer sixteen bucket list!
15. Harlem Underground for Jam Sessions // 745 Queen St. West
This is you free chance to vibe with some other jazz musicians at one of the hippest restaurants in the city. Also check out Madette, an upcoming Toronto musician preforming September 2nd!
16. Roncesvalles Polish Festival // Roncesvalles Avenue
Hit up the ever hip area of Roncesvalles for two days of North America’s largest Polish culture celebration! Prepare yourselves to get your polka dance on at this free event.
17. Catch the last of Summer Music In The Garden // Toronto Music Garden
The Harbourfront Centre is bringing another round of amazing musical acts all in the amazing outdoor Toronto Music Gardens. What a perfect way to end the summer, with a classy musical preformance to counter balance all the fist bumping club music.
18. Hit up a bar with no cover // Multiple Locations
Sure you have to pay for the pre, but in a city where you can drop 20 dollars+ on cover? So worth it.
19. Take a FREE coding course // U of T Online
Coding is the new black. Yes, we just crossed fashion and computers because that’s how BAD ASS it is now. These free courses are offered by none other than U of T.
20. Veg Food Fest // 235 Queens Quay West
Here’s for all the vegetarians who always have to stick to one thing on the menu when they’re out with your carnivorous friends. This is your mecca, FOR FREE.
21. Waterfront Outdoor Photo Exhibit // Queens Quay from Yonge to Bathurst
Want to step up your Insta game? (Obviously). Check out some unreal photography at this free exhibit!
Sept 4th-4th (2015-2017)
22. Rhyme N Reason Music Studio Drop-In Program // PEACH Unit 127 Eddystone Ave
If we can say anything for certain it’s that the 6ix has some unreal local talent. This drop-in music programs lets youth book studio time with professional musicians to give them that fresh start they need. And it’s all free, hit it up!
23. Waterfront Artisans Market // 339 Queens Quay West
Open air market featuring artisans, crafters, chefs and bakers not only sounds like the best day ever but an unreal way to close of the summer. If you haven’t been to this on going market, it’s a must hit for any foodie or artistic soul alike. Another cool market that mixes food (food trucks included) and retail vendors in City Place Urban Market (September 14th).
24. Go on a farmers market hop // Multiple Locations
Fresh produce, unreal scenery, supporting Ontario farmers, and a kick ass Instagram of your #local shopping. WIN WIN WIN.
East York Farmers Market (Tuesdays) – 850 Coxwell Ave
TBG Organic Farmers’ Market (Thursdays) – 777 Lawrence Ave. East
Sorauren Park Fieldhouse (Mondays) – 50 Wabash Ave
And many more! Check your local one for dates!
25. The Word On The Street Toronto Book & Magazine Festival // Harbourfront Centre
Even if your not going back to school, there’s still no reason you can’t hit the books! And why not pick up some reading you actually want to do at the largest outdoor book sale?! Books will cost you some money, but browsing to completely free!
26. Visit the AGO for free // 317 Dundas St. West
Some summer love affairs DO make it! Continue your love of art, and saving money, with free admission to the AGO every Wednesday.
27. Wheelchair Challenge End Of Summer Celebration // Monarch Park Stadium
Want to switch things up with your squad? Why not show your support for people with spinal cord injuries while enjoying free food and tunes? All you have to do is get five friends (plus you), fundraise, and pick a kick ass costume to complete some insane challenges with your friends.
28. Go for a scenic summer 6ixteen run // Multiple Locations
Take in the views before you have to wear 15 layers just to get outside!
29. Play The Parks // Multiple Locations
Get your free theatre fix this month with the 4th season of Play The Parks! When the curators are Massey Hall and Roy Thompson Hall, you know this is gonna be some, as the kids are saying, good classy sh*t.
Now – September 18th
30. Open Streets T.O // Multiple Locations
It’s literally your dream come true, no cars allowed on some of the busiest streets in Toronto.Meaning? You’re free to roam, cartwheel, twerk, or do whatever you’re heart desires to get your physical activity on.